Guests will get an up-close-and-personal look at sharks, humpback whales, and other underwater wildlife with the “Undersea Explorer Virtual Reality Theater,” an all-new attraction from Immotion. The newest addition to Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay, this immersive experience center features state-of-the-art, motion platform VR technology transporting guests to the ocean’s depths.
These experiences, created by Immotion’s Emmy® Award-winning documentary team, presents live-action educational and adventurous content guided by marine biologists and wildlife experts. With a mission to support marine conservation through the creation of engaging events, “Undersea Explorer” features cutting-edge technology syncing 360-degree stereoscopic VR with dynamic motion seating for the ultimate below-the-sea adventure.
As part of the “Undersea Explorer” exhibition, attendees can explore various experiences including:
- “Shark Dive” – “Swim” with marine biologist Matthew Smukall and Shark Whisperer Mike Dornellas as they dive among tiger sharks and hammerheads. The dive features the world’s first VR POV Shark Cam from a camera mounted on a shark’s dorsal fin!
- “Swimming with Humpbacks” – Follow marine biologist/cameraman Jeff Hester as he sets out to learn about the behavior of mother humpback whales and their calves. Track a newborn and its mom undersea and see how the behavior of the mother evolves as the calf matures.
- Take a “Jawsome” selfie in the hyper-realistic shark cage, learn about the amazing anatomy of the humpback whale, track the real-time movement of sharks around the world and learn the secrets of the humpback whale songs – all activities guests can experience in the virtual undersea adventure pre-show area.
“At a time when getting out of the house feels like a luxury, it’s a thrill to open our doors and let the public experience ‘Undersea Explorer,’” said Rod Findley, Group Commercial Director of Immotion. “We’ve created a safe, educational and adventurous way to explore underwater wildlife and hope that guests become passionate about oceanic conservation through this unique VR experience.”
Health & Safety
- The “Undersea Explorer” pre-show activities and lobby abide by the six-foot physical distancing protocols.
- Theater seats are cleaned and the VR goggles are sanitized in a UV light machine after each viewing.
- Hand-sanitizing stations are available throughout the venue.
- For more information about MGM Resorts’ Health & Safety Plan, please visit mgmresorts.com.
“Undersea Explorer” is included in the admission to Shark Reef Aquarium which is open 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. To manage capacity limits and provide for physical distancing, Shark Reef Aquarium has timed ticket entry.