Charlotte, NC, USA — On Saturday, June 1, 2013, Carowinds kicked off their 40th anniversary summer celebration with a birthday party packed full of fun – and cake, the largest ever served on the state line.
When it debuted in 1973, Carowinds was located in the small city of Charlotte and the smaller town of Fort Mill, SC. In the last forty years as the metropolitan areas have grown and evolved, so has the park. Its original size of 73 acres has grown to 398 of rides and attractions, including 13 world class coasters, most of which travel at speeds, heights and curves that were unimaginable back in 1973. Four original rides continue to entertain visitors today: The Scrambler, The Carolina Goldrusher coaster, Snoopy’s Junction train, and the iconic Carolina Skytower.
Carowinds opened for daily operation on June 2, 1973, to an enthusiastic crowd. They enjoyed the day in their bellbottoms and mini skirts and have been coming to enjoy the park’s thrills, shows and attractions ever since.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY SEASON OPENING DAY:
- Price of admission on this special 40th anniversary day? $40.
- Ceremonial ribbon cutting with two people who were at the park opening day- James Henderson, Carowinds’ first official visitor, and Connie Dorn Rist, Ms. North Carolina 1972.
- Fort Mill High School marching band opened the park and helped lead the crowd in singing happy birthday as the park cut and share their giant birthday cake.
- Carowinds worked with Arcadia Publishing to commemorate their anniversary season with a beautiful book featuring a historical collection of photos documenting four decades of thrills.
- The party kept going with the crew from V101.9 fm. They led the evening portion of the birthday bash with a performance by the Purple All Star Steppers and a summertime dance party.
- The World’s Largest Soul Train Line.
- The park wraped up the celebration with fireworks coordinated to light up the night with the biggest hits of 1973.
THE CELEBRATION CONTINUES ALL SUMMER LONG:
- Special next-day ticket price through the entire month of June. Come back the next day for only $19.73.
- The Marvelous Mutts, these talented canines will amaze with their tricks and speed.
June 10-16 at the Intimidator infield
- King BMX Show, riders entertain audiences with their high-flying stunts, flips and power.
June 27-30 in Cobra Plaza
- Gradfest, a graduation celebration with dance parties, concerts and more June 14.
- Return to Pirate Island. Get ready to set forth with the little ones on a trip for buried treasure and more! Boomerang Bay July 8-14,
- Lunch with the Peanuts Gang, interactive character meal puts guests at the head of the table.
In the Rose Room VIP venue July 15-19.