Corning, NY, USA — Designed by architect Thomas Phifer and Partners, the 100,000-square-foot Contemporary Art + Design Wing at the Corning Museum of Glass will include a new 26,000-square-foot contemporary art gallery building, the largest space anywhere dedicated to the presentation of contemporary art in glass. Adjacent to this new gallery is a renovated historic glass factory ventilator building that will contain one of the world’s largest facilities for glassblowing demonstrations and live glass design sessions, with 500 seats.
The new wing links three generations of glass architecture spanning 60 years. The ten-acre campus currently features a collection of buildings designed by Harrison & Abramowitz (1951), Gunnar Birkerts (1980), Smith-Miller + Hawkinson (2001), and Bohlin Cywinski Jackson (2001).
The $64 million project—fully funded before groundbreaking by major benefactor Corning Incorporated—will open to the public on March 20, 2015.