Gurnee, IL, USA (September 24, 2015) — Six Flags Great America kicks off Fright Fest on scare-oids featuring extended hours on weekends with SIX haunted attractions and SIX “frightastic” shows over SIX weekends. The complete transformation of this 100-acre theme park creates a dark and menacing atmosphere where “the most terrifying creatures roam showing no mercy.”
“This is a new kind of Fright Fest – a no mercy type of event,” said director of operations, Dameon Nelson. “For years we have gone bigger and scarier, but now we have a new no-holds-barred philosophy and once the sun sets we are not backing down. This will be an immersive haunted experience that you cannot get anywhere else.”
13 Fright Fest Facts:
- –250 zombies and monsters lurk the midways and haunted attractions
- –30 master make-up artists use 2,500 ounces of make-up and fake blood to transform actors each night
- –25 pounds of food-grade, red vegetable dye create the blood-tinged reflection pond
- –100 flaming torches create an eerie glow over the entire park
- –300 bales of hay add to the fall atmosphere
- –25,200 stalks of corn complete the festive park décor
- –5 tons of pumpkins and 160 yards of mulch form the “thrills by day” atmosphere
- –1,000 gallons of fog juice generate the mysterious rising fog effect throughout the park
- –1,600 yards of cheese cloth are used to give the illusion of spider webs around the park
- –Love at First Fright, Fright Fest’s trademark musical, kicks off its 25th season
- –Over 1,250 minutes per Fright Fest day is spent applying make-up by 15 make-up artists
- –Tiny, the 200 pound spider, has been perched on the American Eagle for 22 years
- –A 53 foot, 600 pound gorilla claims the Sky Trek Tower each Fright Fest season signaling the start of the uprising
Thrills By Day
Character Candy Trail – Little ghouls can trick-or-treat In the Mardi Gras area every Saturday and Sunday.
Kid Friendly Themed Areas – Scare-free zones like Camp Cartoon, Kidzopolis and Hometown Park are perfect for families with young children. These areas are open on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Love At First Fright – Fright Fest’s trademark award-winning family musical is back for its 25th smash season! Join Jack and Katie on their dare to spend a night in the cemetery.
Fright By Night
NOX – NEW – Nox is the newest member to the Fright Fest Character lineup. As the overlord of Fright Fest, Nox will oversee all 300 characters in the park and reside in the Gates of Hell. Nox’s character was developed by Six Flags Great America in tandem with Anthony Kosart from syfy’s Face Off.
Gates of Hell – NEW – Nox is looking for more souls to take and if you are brave you can enter his realm in the Gates of Hell. The Gates of Hell features 6 different haunted experiences in one all surrounded by the House of Torment which Nox calls home. Demons in each of these areas are competing to capture the most souls to deliver to Nox and they will do anything to win the battle. You will be lucky to escape with your soul so enter only if you dare. Additional fee required.
Apocalypse: Zombie Experience – NEW – Zombies have taken over and we need your help! These zombies are starving and they only have an appetite for your flesh. Try to make it through alive, but be careful because they haven’t eaten in a while. Better your chances of survival by going to the next level and renting a machine gun to shoot them before they bite. Additional fee required.
LightMosFEAR – NEW – Enjoy the largest Halloween lightshow on the world’s largest carousel! This spectacular lighting experience has over 70,000 points of light and 500 channels of animation.
Fear Haunted House – In the depths of the Bermuda Triangle you will encounter your most primal fear…darkness. Without a sliver of light and only instinct to guide, will you survive? Additional fee required.
The Abyss – Countless occurrences have been recorded of the Bermuda Triangle with each tale as mysterious as the next and all left unanswered. Anything could happen when left alone in the Abyss. Additional fee required.
Massacre Medical Center – This decrepit hospital was rumored to be vacated of patients and doctors years ago following a great massacre. Passersby near the hospital recall eerie noises and unexplainable images in the building – begging the question… who or what lurks within? Additional fee required.
Manslaughter Manor – This manor, tucked away in the Southwest Hills, has the reputation for being cursed by the residents of Skull Valley. Do you dare enter? Additional fee required.
Fright Fest haunted house wristbands provide an unlimited day of access to all six Fright Fest attractions. For more information, visit http://frightfest.sixflags.com/greatamerica. Haunted mazes and houses are not included in general admission.
Fright Fest begins September 26 and runs weekends through November 1. Hours are Fridays 5 p.m.-11 p.m., Saturdays 11 a.m.-midnight, Sundays 11 a.m.-10 p.m. and Columbus Day 11 a.m.- 7 p.m. Fright Fest remains family-friendly until 6 p.m. with the children’s areas as scare-free zones and a trick-or-treat trail in Apocalypse.