Ottawa, Canada — Beach Park Resort in Brazil was recently named by Trip Advisor® as the #2 water park in the world. It’s one of Brazil’s leading tourist attractions and has everything that you would expect to find in a true Brazilian experience: a breathtaking beach-front location, gourmet seafood restaurants and an exhilarating atmosphere.
Named Brazil’s Best Theme Park by Viagem e Turismo magazine in 2014, Beach Park keeps getting better. In 2015, the water park portion of the resort attracted nearly 1 million visitors. Murilo Pascoal, General Manager, says it comes down to three things:
- A unique, ocean-front, tropical location
- A strong desire to deliver unparalleled customer satisfaction
- A passion for combining families, fun and Brazilian culture
In 1985, partners João Eduardo Gentil and Arialdo Pinho were fueled by a dream. Sitting beside their beachfront kiosk on Brazil’s northern coast, they knew that their idyllic location, combined with 330 days of sunshine each year and an average temperature of 27° C (81° F), was a recipe for success.
By 1989, Beach Park boasted a trendy restaurant that also offered surfing and body boarding. Then Gentil had the idea that would change Beach Park forever: he planned to expand the property with South America’s first waterpark, starting with just three slides.
Since joining Beach Park in 2004, water park industry veteran Murilo Pascoal and his team of Engenheiros Sonhadores (Dream Engineers) have been working tirelessly to convert Beach Park Resort into one of the premiere destinations in all of Latin America.
In 2011, the Beach Park team began its collaboration with ProSlide. They’ve added six new attractions since 2013, starting with Arrepius; a 25m-high, five-slide complex that includes:
- Arre Égua, a four-person enclosed hybrid slide (ProSlide TORNADO® 24 + TORNADO® 24) with the back-to-back turns of a serpentine in-run, combined with two separate drops into 7m (24 foot) funnels that feature high-banking swings and zero-gravity thrills.
- Arre Ema, a two-person enclosed tubing ride (ProSlide CannonBOWL™ 40) that hurtles guests down a steep in-run, then shoots into the wide-open bowl, running high on the wall for peak thrills.
- Arre Doidus, Brazil’s first and only water attraction with a drop launch system features two separate, single-rider 360˚ looping enclosed tunnel slides (ProSlide SuperLOOP™), that both begin high above the water park in a transparent pod (ProSlide SkyBOX™). Standing in the capsule, thrill riders feel the adrenaline rush as the floor suddenly drops out and they freefall 25m into the narrow tunnel below.
- Arretado, an open-flume body ride (ProSlide FreeFALL™), featuring a nearly vertical plummet of 25m (82 feet) that produces high velocities and extreme thrills.
In 2015, Beach Park added Vaikuntudo, a 336-foot long, 8-storey high funnel (ProSlide TORNADO® 60) that starts in a dark tunnel, building anticipation with every curve. Then, without warning, the raft drops through a 45-degree tunnel and explodes into the iconic funnel.
“I saw this ride at a water park in São Paolo and knew that we had to get one for Beach Park,” says Pascoal. “The decision turned out to be a good one, as we continue to set attendance records since adding Vaikuntudo. In January of 2016 alone, despite an economic downturn, we still experienced a 6.5% attendance increase.”
“Murilo has really taken Beach Park to another level,” says Rick Hunter, ProSlide President and CEO. “Not only does he share our passion for thrilling rides and constant improvement, but he is also 100% focused on creating a great experience for his guests.”
Starting with just three water slides, Beach Park has continued to invest not only in new rides – the water park now features more than 20 different attractions – but also in additional restaurants, services and facilities to ensure that it remains one of the world’s best. It’s become a world-class tourism and leisure destination, offering visitors four hotel resorts, multiple dining options, a convention center and all of the related amenities, including two spas, fitness facilities, and numerous swimming pools.
In December 2015, Beach Park expanded to service families looking for fun after a day at the water park, Vila Azul do Mar – located in the park’s entrance – offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and games for guests of all ages.
With theming inspired by a fishing village, Vila Azul do Mar offers a cozy ambiance in a relaxed atmosphere that includes a lounge with rustic decor. Beach Park is also proud to announce the opening of their own brand of stores: Shop Shop, Love & Peace Rocks and Beach Park Sunwear.