Following the developments related to the Omicron COVID-19 variant, the GSCA made the decision in part by talking to industry stakeholders representing all segments of GSCA’s membership along with sending a poll to all theater members in early January asking if they plan to attend. After gathering all this information, the GSCA Executive Committee had a thorough discussion on January 11, 2022, and voted unanimously to proceed with in-person events in both Los Angeles and Salt Lake City.
Due to the significant portion of the GSCA membership that expressed interest in attending, the GSCA hopes that the in-person event serves and supports the general needs of the association’s members.
The association has clarified that if COVID or Film Expo-related circumstances change after registration, GSCA plans to work with those affected, including due to travel restrictions and/or illness. In those cases, the registration fee will be applied to a future GSCA event.
GSCA has also announced the following measures to ensure the health and safety of everyone who attends:
- All attendees, without exception, will be required to fully comply with guidelines and mandates issued by the city of Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. This includes proof of vaccination for entry to movie theaters — including the AMC Universal City IMAX. The full list of Los Angeles vaccination guidelines is available here and for Salt Lake City is available here.
- All attendees will be required to wear masks during GSCA events.
- Committee meetings and the board of directors meeting will be held virtually rather than in person.
- All receptions will be held at outdoor venues when possible.
- There will be a way to visually indicate comfort level for interaction with other attendees.
The GSCA Event Planning Committee will be discussing how to best accommodate those who want to participate but are unable to join in person. It plans to share details as soon as they are confirmed.
The deadline to register at the early rate is February 11.
As for filmmakers and distributors, the deadline to submit film projects is January 28.