Sesame Place San Diego, the only theme park on the West Coast based entirely on the award-winning show Sesame Street, will be adding two new attractions in 2023. The Count’s Splash Castle will be a multi-level water-play attraction and Sunny Day Café will be an all-day character dining location where guests can enjoy a variety of meals with their favorite furry friends. In addition to the new attractions at the park in 2023, Elmo’s adopted puppy, Tango, will find her home at Sesame Place San Diego on Saturday, February 4. The floppy-eared, tail wagging puppy will debut at the park as an all-new meet & greet character, where guests will see her for the first time at her welcome ceremony.
Count’s Splash Castle
Count’s Splash Castle, is a multi-level, interactive water-play attraction that features 111 play elements, including two giant tipping buckets that dump over 1,300 gallons of water combined. There are three water slides, plus soakers, flow pipes, hose jets, spray jets, water shooters, water curtains, tipping troughs, spinning and sliding buckets, and much more. Count’s Splash Castle replaces the former splash area and is double the size of the previous attraction.
Sunny Day Café
At the Sunny Day Café, guests can join their favorite furry friends for a dining adventure. The new indoor and air conditioned 5,000-square-foot building is where families will enjoy family-friendly buffet-style meals. Throughout the year, there will be special event opportunities and dine activities every season, including Dine with Elmo & Friends. The new café will seat up to 160 guests, and Sesame Street characters will join diners for an immersive experience with singing, dancing and photo opportunities.
New in 2023, guests can also grab snacks and beverages at the new Big Bird’s Beach Bites location near Big Bird’s Beach. For added convenience, mobile ordering for select restaurants is available through the Sesame Place app.
“Going into the new year, we’re very excited to offer our guests and Season Pass Members more reasons to visit the park throughout the year. Between our new attractions, increased dining options and 2023 event lineup that will be all-new to our guests, we look forward to an amazing year,” said Jim Lake, Sesame Place Park President. “We’re constantly adding new activities and events to enhance the guest experience. We’re increasing the number of opportunities to interact with their favorite characters and with the expansion of our dining options, plus our mobile ordering, our guests will be able to enjoy more convenience throughout their days at the park.”
Tango at Sesame Place San Diego
A sweet and spirited puppy named after her love of music and dancing, Tango debuted in the 2021 animated special Furry Friends Forever: Elmo Gets a Puppy, in which Elmo finds a stray Tango and adopts her. Tango then joined Sesame Street’s 52nd season in both animated and live-action format. Tango’s arrival at Sesame Place will be celebrated during operating days, every Saturday and Sunday in February, plus Friday, February 17 and Monday, February 20.
- Tango’s Welcome Ceremony – The park will officially welcome Tango on February 4 at 12:00 p.m. at the Dance Party Stage.
- Elmo & Tango’s Welcome Day Scavenger Hunt – Guests can search throughout the park for all the items that Elmo needs to take care of Tango. Guests can turn in completed scavenger hunt sheets at Hooper’s Store for their choice of pet-themed prizes: Sesame Place bandanas or tennis balls. Self-guided scavenger hunts run throughout the day while supplies last.
- Tango’s Treat Seek – Tango’s Treat will be secretly hidden in the park on select dates. The first person to find Tango’s Treat will receive Sesame Street-themed pet prizes from BarkBox.
- Sesame Street Party Parade – Guests will be able to spot Sesame Place’s newest resident in the daily, award-winning parade.
- Meet-and-Greets – Tango will be wagging her tail in delight to take photos and interact with guests on select days. Season Pass Members will have the first chance to meet Tango and take photos with her in exclusive Meet & Greets at the Sesame Street Theater on Saturday, February 4. Reservations are required and can be made within Season Pass Members’ online portals.
- Pet Adoption Weekend – To celebrate Tango’s debut, guests can meet rescue dogs just like Tango along with other animals at Sesame Place Adoption Days on Friday, February 25 and Saturday, February 26 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Guests can meet with local pet adoption partners and even see a special appearance from Elmo and Tango.