Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. broke ground on a new resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut, opening in 2025. The Great Wolf Lodge in Mashantucket will be the company’s 23rd resort in North America and third resort in the Northeastern U.S. The 549-room resort, which is being built as part of a partnership agreement with the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, will be located on 13-acres adjacent to the Foxwoods Resort Casino and will feature a 91,000-square-foot indoor water park and a 61,000-square-foot family entertainment center.
With a rough construction timeline of approximately 26 months, the indoor water park resort is expected to celebrate its grand opening in mid-2025.
With an investment of more than $300 million dollars from Great Wolf Resorts shareholders Blackstone and Centerbridge Partners, the Great Wolf Lodge in Mashantucket will provide a healthy economic boost to the region. In addition, Great Wolf Lodge, in conjunction with Blackstone and Centerbridge Partners, announced today that it will be making a $25,000 donation to the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center to assist its efforts in sharing the rich history, stories and traditions of the Mashantucket Pequot culture.
“Great Wolf Lodge helps families strengthen their pack by offering a fun-filled getaway that is close, convenient and carefree, and with this new resort, we will be able to provide our beloved signature experience to more families across the Northeast,” said John Murphy, Chief Executive Officer for Great Wolf Resorts. “Thanks to the support of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and our shareholders, Blackstone and Centerbridge Partners, we’re excited to offer a third resort in the Northeast region to further complement our existing resorts in the Pocono Mountains and New England. We’re excited to get this resort underway with today’s groundbreaking and help contribute to the growth and prosperity of this community.”
“We are honored to be working alongside the team to bring Great Wolf Lodge to the state of Connecticut,” said Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation Chairman Rodney Butler. “The introduction of this new location will help bring incredible economic value and exciting job opportunities to the hardworking people in our area. This is a special moment for us all, and we thank our partners at Great Wolf Lodge for making this happen.”
The Great Wolf Lodge in Mashantucket will be steps away from Foxwoods Resort Casino, which features a variety of indoor and outdoor experiences ranging from concerts and comedy shows to dining, zip-lining, go-karting, 36-holes of championship golf and over 80 retail stores at Tanger Outlets.
“At Foxwoods Resort Casino, we pride ourselves on exceeding our guests’ expectations in every way,” said Jason Guyot, Foxwoods’ President and CEO. “This project with Great Wolf Lodge marks another milestone for us as we continue to trailblaze in the guest experience, and we couldn’t be more proud to bring this family-friendly experience to the area.”
As part of Great Wolf Lodge’s environmental initiative, Project Green Wolf, this new Great Wolf Lodge will feature a number of energy and water conservation measures, such as energy-saving LED lighting and special water filters to reduce consumption.
The Great Wolf Lodge in Mashantucket will be a year-round family resort destination filled with attractions and amenities for all ages. Some of the highlights include:
- An expansive 91,000-square-foot indoor waterpark, heated to a comfortable 84 degrees, featuring a variety of body slides, tube slides, raft rides, activity pools and splash areas for every member of the family — from toddlers and teens to parents and grandparents.
- A 61,000-square-foot family entertainment center known as the Great Wolf Adventure Park will offer a variety of family-friendly attractions, including MagiQuest — Great Wolf Lodge’s exclusive live action-adventure game where players use interactive magic wands to battle goblins and dragons.
- A collection of complimentary family events and activities including Yoga Tails, a morning exercise program that combines tales from the creatures found in the Spirit Water Forest with yoga poses, and evening events such as Great Wolf Lodge’s signature Hustle & Howl dance party and Story Time event.
- Several dining options that will appeal to a variety of culinary styles ranging from pizza and burgers to upscale dining at Fireside and premium ice cream treats at Wood’s End Creamery.
- Family-friendly suites in a variety of categories and styles including Great Wolf-themed suites with separate sleeping quarters for kids designed as either a log cabin or wolf den and outfitted with bunk beds and Great Wolf character theming. The resort will also feature suites with multiple bedrooms for large families or multi-generational groups.
The Great Wolf Lodge in Mashantucket will offer an exceptional value for families with admission to the waterpark and family entertainment activities in the Grand Lobby included as part of the guest’s stay.
Meeting and event planners can also look to Great Wolf Lodge for their meeting and event needs. The property will boast more than 7,500 square feet of flexible conference space with breakout rooms, built-in A/V technology, customizable catering options, and a team of dedicated industry professionals to tend to every meeting need.