Miami, FL, USA (March 6, 2012) /PRNewswire/ — Representing Carnival Cruise Lines’ most ambitious refit and transformation project ever, Carnival Destiny will undergo a $155 million makeover next year that will incorporate all of the line’s “Fun Ship 2.0” dining, bar and entertainment features, as well as a variety of exciting innovations unique to this vessel.
The refit will also include a reconfigured layout, the addition of a partial deck and the expansion of two other decks within the forward section of the ship, providing the opportunity to incorporate a number of new and exciting on-board spaces. One-hundred and eighty-two cabins will be added, as well.
The redesign will be so extensive and wide-ranging that the ship will be renamed Carnival Sunshine following the 49-day dry dock, which will take place from February to April 2013. The refit work will be completed by Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri.
Following the dry dock, Carnival Sunshine will embark on a schedule of nine- and 12-day Mediterranean voyages from Barcelona and Venice from April to October 2013 then launch year-round seven-day Caribbean departures from New Orleans beginning November 2013.
“This is our most ambitious ship conversion project to date and it will radically transform the Carnival Destiny into essentially an entirely new ship offering a variety of exciting dining and beverage choices, spectacular outdoor spaces and entertainment options, and on-board innovations not available anywhere else,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO.
Here’s a look at some of Carnival Sunshine’s many features:
Wide-Ranging On-Board Dining Choices
- Guy’s Burger Joint, a free-of-charge poolside venue developed in partnership with Food Network personality Guy Fieri serving hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries in an atmosphere that celebrates the chef’s California roots and love of car culture
- BlueIguana Cantina, a complimentary poolside Mexican eatery where guests can enjoy authentic, freshly made burritos and tacos on homemade tortillas that can be personalized with a variety of salsas and toppings
- Fahrenheit 555, a classic American steakhouse offering mouth-watering steaks and gourmet appetizers, entrees and desserts
- Cucina del Capitano – or “The Captain’s Kitchen” – with Italian favorites and new Carnival classics served family-style in an atmosphere reminiscent of a cozy Italian home
- A new full-service Asian restaurant inspired by the line’s popular Mongolian wok casual eateries that will feature an extensive menu of favorites from the Far East, along with an Asian-themed decor
- An expansive casual poolside eatery, Lido Marketplace, offering an array of favorites from around the world, from paninis and pizza to a deli offering sandwiches and just about everything in between
- A new casual dining option, “The Comfort Kitchen,” located within the Lido Marketplace and offering an array of American-style “comfort food” entrees and side dishes
- Completely renovated main dining rooms that will offer extensive menus and wine lists, with a selection of salads, appetizers, entrees and desserts nightly, including Carnival’s famous chocolate melting cake
- A newly designed coffee bar, serving a wide range of concoctions such as cappuccinos, lattes, espressos and other caffeinated favorites, along with pastries and other confections
Innovative Bar and Beverage Concepts
- RedFrog Pub where guests can enjoy the Caribbean’s best rums and beers – along with Carnival’s own ThirstyFrog Red private label draft brew – and island-inspired pub fare while soaking up the distinct British-West-Indies-meets-Key-West ambiance
- RedFrog Rum Bar, a poolside adaptation of the RedFrog Pub offering a Caribbean vacation vibe with refreshing Caribbean rum-based frozen drinks and beers, including Carnival’s own ThirstyFrog Red
- BlueIguana Tequila Bar, an outdoor watering hole offering a Mexican-themed atmosphere and tequila-based frozen drinks and beers
- EA SPORTS Bar, a sports and video game lovers’ paradise where guests can catch live sporting events, check out scores on the real-time 24/7 sports ticker, and play the latest EA SPORTS games on a 16-screen video wall
- Alchemy Bar, a vintage-themed cocktail “pharmacy” that’s the go-to spot for guests seeking a unique experience with mixologists who “prescribe” concoctions from different elixirs and ingredients or guests’ own custom-created cocktails
- The Library Bar, a venue offering full bar service for those seeking a more intimate spot for before- or after-dinner drinks
- A new lounge, Havana Bar, a tropical-inspired nightspot located aft within Lido Marketplace featuring a panoramic ocean view from its floor to ceiling windows and offering a unique venue for cocktails, live Latin music and dancing
- The new Sunshine Bar, an elegant lounge with sun-splashed interiors located at the lobby level of the ship’s towering atrium where guests can enjoy a cocktail, dance and listen to live music
- A new cigar bar concept, with plush, comfortable surroundings, along with fine cigars and a variety of brandies, cognacs and liqueurs, ideal for pre- or post-dinner drinks and conversation
Outdoor Fun and Relaxation
- Carnival’s first three-deck-high Serenity adults-only retreat, offering plush chaise lounges and chairs, a whirlpool, a cascading waterfall, teak-planked decks, a pool, a complimentary dining area with freshly made salads that can be customized by guests, and magnificent sea views
- SportSquare, Carnival Sunshine’s new open-air recreation complex that includes such attractions as a ropes course, mini-golf course, a lighted half court for basketball and volleyball, jogging track, ping pong, pool, and foosball tables, and bar with a large flat-screen for those who want to check out the action on TV
- WaterWorks, a “splash-tastic” top-deck attraction with wet ‘n wild thrills such as the line’s iconic “Twister” water slide, a Splash Zone kids water play area, an all-new thrill slide and other fun features
- Carnival’s Seaside Theatre, a poolside 270-square-foot high-tech LED screen offering nightly “Dive In Movies,” along with a variety of concerts, sporting events and other programming, all of which are enjoyed in the fresh sea air
- Playlist Productions, which builds upon Carnival’s reputation for high quality entertainment by combining captivating live performances and staging and special effects to create music revues produced by the top directors and choreographers in the industry
- Hasbro, The Game Show , where guests are part of the show through a series of larger-than-life productions and entertainment activities based on the company’s iconic and popular games and presented in the ship’s remodeled main show lounge
- Piano Bar 88, a new twist on Carnival’s popular piano bar concept that will amp up the excitement with themed nights, an engaging new decor and opportunities for spontaneous sing-along fun
- The Punchliner Comedy Club Presented by George Lopez , featuring a line-up of both established and up-and-coming talent evaluated and vetted by the popular TV personality who serves as Carnival’s “curator of comedy”
Staterooms, Shopping and More
- All staterooms will be fully revamped and feature a new tropical decor that pays homage to the ship’s Caribbean itineraries with a combination of bright colors and soothing pastels, with 182 new staterooms to be added across a broad range of accommodations from interior to balconies, including 96 new spa staterooms
- Newly designed play areas catering to kids in three age groups, part of the line’s top-rated children’s programs – Camp Carnival (2-11), Circle “C” (12-14) and Club O2 (15-17), with counselors and supervised activities for each group, along with popular elements of Carnival’s new partnership with Hasbro
- The FunHub, featuring dozens of flat-panel stations for keeping up with the latest Carnival Sunshine happenings, surfing the Web, and staying in touch with friends and family back home
- Cloud 9 Spa – This newly constructed facility will set a new standard in oceangoing wellness with a sophisticated menu of exotic therapies, an elaborate thermal suite with varying degrees of soothing warmth, private treatment rooms, and the latest exercise equipment
- Cherry On Top , which celebrates the joys of simple indulgences with bins of bulk candy, fun fanciful gifts and novelties, custom apparel and more
- Ocean Plaza, a cafe and entertainment venue where guests can meet new friends, listen to music, enjoy drinks and light snacks, participate in a wide range of activities and people watch
ABOUT CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES
Carnival is “The World’s Most Popular Cruise Line®” with 23 ships operating three- to 18-day voyages to The Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, New England, Europe, Bermuda, South America, Panama Canal, Tahiti, the Fiji Islands, New Zealand, Norway, the Baltic and the British Isles. The company will expand its fleet with the launch of the 130,000-ton Carnival Breeze, which is scheduled to enter service June 3, 2012.
Carnival is a proud member of World’s Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Cunard, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises and Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and value, World’s Leading Cruise Lines inspires people to discover their best vacation experience. Together, we offer a variety of exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world’s most desirable destinations. Visit us at www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com