Mid-Atlantic families will have something fun to howl about in 2023 as Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. broke ground on July 20 for its newest resort in Perryville, MD. Great Wolf Lodge Maryland will become the brand’s 20th resort in North America, and the largest, with 700-family-friendly suites and a 126,000-square-foot indoor water park. The resort will sit on 48 acres on the western edge of Cecil County, making it a convenient family getaway for those in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Wilmington and many other Mid-Atlantic and Northeast communities. With construction now officially underway, Great Wolf Lodge Maryland is scheduled to open middle to late 2023.
“As we look to expand the Great Wolf Lodge experience to new markets, we are excited to place our newest resort in Perryville, Maryland, and provide Mid-Atlantic families with an easy, carefree escape where kids and parents will laugh, play and have joy-filled adventures together,” said Murray Hennessy, Chief Executive Officer for Great Wolf Resorts. “Being a short driving distance from several key markets makes Perryville an ideal location for a Great Wolf Lodge. With the tremendous support from the state, county and town, as well as our shareholders Blackstone and Centerbridge Partners, we’re excited to make this resort a reality. We’re eager to be a part of this community and to help contribute to its continued growth and prosperity.”
Great Wolf Lodge and its construction partner, Turner, estimate more than 2,000 employment opportunities will become available as a result of the two-year timeframe required to build the more than $250 million dollar family resort. When the resort opens, Great Wolf Lodge Maryland will create more than 850 new jobs in Cecil County, ranging from engineering and IT professionals to lifeguards and housekeepers, all with long-term career growth potential.
“Maryland was recently rated as the nation’s most improved state for business, and the addition of Great Wolf Lodge — the brand’s largest resort in North America — is yet another shining example that our state economy is coming back stronger and better than ever before,” said Governor Hogan. “This family friendly destination will bring hundreds of new jobs and thousands of tourists to our state, and is further proof that Maryland truly is open for business.”
Great Wolf Lodge Maryland will be a year-round family destination filled with attractions and amenities for all ages. Some of the highlights include:
- An expansive 126,000-square-foot indoor waterpark, heated to a comfortable 84 degrees and featuring a variety of body slides, tube slides, raft rides, activity pools and splash areas for every member of the family — from toddlers and teens, to parents and grandparents.
- A 57,000-square-foot family entertainment center known as the Great Wolf Adventure Park will offer a variety of family-friendly attractions, including MagiQuest — Great Wolf Lodge’s exclusive live-action adventure game where players use interactive magic wands to battle goblins and dragons.
- A collection of complimentary family events and activities including Yoga Tails, a morning exercise program that combines tales from animal friends found in the Northwoods with yoga poses, and Great Wolf Lodge’s signature Story Time event, where children gather around the fireplace for a bedtime tale.
- Several dining options that will appeal to a variety of culinary styles ranging from pizza and burgers, to upscale dining at Barnwood and premium ice cream treats at Wood’s End Creamery.
- Family friendly suites in a variety of categories and styles including Great Wolf-themed suites with separate sleeping quarters for kids designed as either a log cabin or wolf den and outfitted with bunk beds and Great Wolf character theming. The resort will also feature suites with multiple bedrooms for large families or multi-generational groups.
Meeting and event planners can also look to Great Wolf Lodge Maryland for their meeting and event needs. The property will boast 12,000 square feet of flexible conference space with breakout rooms, built-in A/V technology, customizable catering options and a team of dedicated industry professionals to tend to every meeting need.