Orlando, FL, USA (June 29, 2012) — Now open at Discovery Cove in Orlando is Freshwater Oasis, an all-new attraction featuring wading adventures and face-to-face encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets.
Just across the street from SeaWorld Orlando is Discovery Cove, a limited-admission tropical day resort where guests swim with dolphins, hand-feed exotic birds in a free-flight aviary, snorkel among thousands of colorful fish and rays and relax on pristine beaches.
Designed with a rainforest canopy above and sparkling-clear springs below, Freshwater Oasis is a natural fit within Discovery Cove’s tropical vibe. Guests can relax and explore. They’ll wade, wander, swim and float in the water-filled trails and discover marmoset monkeys and playful Asian otters. No matter where they turn, they’ll find endless discoveries.
- Unique waterways … With most of the water at waist-deep level or shallower, Freshwater Oasis invites families to explore all of its nooks and crannies.
- In-Water Relaxation Station … The warm water is perfect for relaxing and soaking up the Orlando sunshine or to enjoy an ice-cold drink from the brightly colored sunken chairs that are built into the area.
- More features … There are multiple entries into the water, and many pathways to discover something new at every turn.
Asian small-clawed otters
- The smallest of all otters, the Asian-small clawed otter weighs between two and eleven pounds. Native to Southeast Asia – in areas from Indonesia, to China, to India – these playful animals can be found in the most scenic of surroundings in Freshwater Oasis.
- Wade past rocks and trees to encounter the thriving, lush habitat of the Asian small-clawed otter. Watch as these active mammals romp and play their way through their naturalistic environment, and swim figure-eight’s around tree stumps. Experience the lively energy of the otter in an up-close-and-personal way, without ever having to leave the refreshing water.
- Marmoset monkeys are native to the rainforest and upper canopies of South America. If they can’t be spotted up in the tip-top of the trees, these highly-active animals can be heard communicating through a variety of unique sounds including whistles, squeaks, clicks, and trills. Only weighing a pound when fully grown, marmosets are unique animals to take in.
- Swim through waist-deep water to the center of Freshwater Oasis, or view from a scenic pathway, an island abundant with life. There will be no glass separating guests from the marmoset monkeys that call the idyllic island home. Look and listen as these agile animals leap from tree to tree, and watch in wonder as they run upside-down on the branches. Experience a whole new world, right in front of your eyes.
More about Discovery Cove
- Discovery Cove is a paradise of rocky lagoons surrounded by lush landscaping, tropical reefs, winding rivers, a resort-style pool complete with waterfalls, and white-sand beaches.
- The Grand Reef features multiple levels of exploration, from shallow waters to deeper swimming adventures, from white sandy beaches and hammocks swaying in the breeze, to snorkeling among canyons inspired by reefs from around the world.
- SeaVenture is an underwater walking tour where guests, wearing dive helmets, find up-close encounters with sharks (safely behind massive panoramic windows), one-on-one touches with unique animals and schools of fish and gentle rays.
Freshwater Oasis is included with admission to Discovery Cove, which is an all-inclusive, full-day experience featuring the best animal experiences, all-day dining, and first-class amenities plus unlimited admission for 14 days to sister parks SeaWorld and Aquatica in Orlando.
Limited to approximately 1,000 guests per day, Discovery Cove requires advance reservations which can be made at DiscoveryCove.com or by calling 1-877-434-7268.
Seasonal rates for Discovery Cove’s Dolphin Swim Day Resort Package start at $229 (rates for Day Resort Package without dolphin swim experience and guests ages 3-5 start at $149).
Prices vary seasonally.
Discovery Cove is part of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, which operates 10 parks across the U.S. including SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio; Busch Gardens parks in Tampa, Fla. and Williamsburg, Va.; Aquatica in Orlando; Sesame Place near Philadelphia, Pa.; and water parks Adventure Island in Tampa and Water Country USA in Williamsburg.
The 10 parks play host to 25 million guests each year and employ 26,000 people nationwide. To learn more, visit SeaWorldParksandEntertainment.com or call toll-free 1-888-800-5447. Additionally, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment created the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a non-profit, private charitable foundation committed to supporting wildlife and habitat conservation, research, education and animal rescue programs worldwide. Learn more at SWBG-ConservationFund.org.