Six Flags Over Texas opened the Pirates of Speelunker Cave on May 14. This family ride is a re-imagining of one of the park’s first attractions, The Cave, that operated from 1964 until 1991 and featured original characters called Speelunkers that were created exclusively for Six Flags Over Texas.
Pirates of Speelunker Cave will immerse guests with high-tech digital and physical sets, animatronics and a unique storyline. Riders will be placed squarely in the middle of a pirate treasure hunt thwarted by resident Speelunkers and come face-to-face with mythical creatures, including mermaids and sea monsters.
Pirates of Speelunker Cave includes the following features:
- Cinematic projection with immersive sets;
- Elaborately-themed entry portal and queue design to set an adventurous tone as soon as guests approach the ride, including a custom soundtrack, nautical artifacts and “wanted” posters of pirates riders will encounter inside the attraction;
- A total of 64 Speelunker characters throughout the ride — a historical nod to The Cave’s original opening in 1964;
- 26 six-passenger boats that will take riders on a six-minute ride; and
- No height requirement (with an accompanying adult), allowing entire families to experience the ride together.
Later this summer, the park will introduce AQUAMAN: Power Wave — a multi-launch water coaster.